2011年4月27日水曜日

April 28th ♪ Short Cake

Good morning !


Today I will introduce about "Short cake".
Ingredients are strawberries, whipped cream, sponge cake, and so on.




In Japan, we eat this cake for someone's birthday or christmas.
Of course as a refreshment.







Now, do you know the birthplace of the short cakes?

The answer is Japan !!

In 1543, the ships of Portugueses arrived at Tanegashima Island in Kagoshima.
After that, Fujiya company improve sponge cake ( Kasutera) more softer.


It's the prompt of making short cakes.




By the way, "Fraisier" is famous in France.













This cake used butter cream or custard cream instead of whipped cream.
In addition, heavy sugar sweets called "marzipan" on the top of the cake.

It's contrastive to Japanese short cake and the taste is very rich.



Why such a difference occured ?



I think it is originate from people's usual eating style.
Japanese often use sugar and sake for home cooking.
Therefore we want modest sweetness and light thing for dessert.

And french have kind of strong foods and drink totally because they live in more colder area than Japan. So sweets are heavy, too.

If you have a chance, please try many kinds of cakes :) !

4 件のコメント:

  1. When I first moved to Japan was surprised at how mild the desserts are. American sweets are very sugary sweet (they make my teeth hurt sometimes), but Japanese sweets are sweet but you can still taste the other flavors. Very yummy!!

    返信削除
  2. Hello!! Nice to meet you:-)
    I'm Hiromi.

    I was surprised short cakes was made in Japan!!
    In my mind, all of cakes were made by European people.

    I agree to your idea! You mean that the stronger a country's various food taste is, the sweeter dessert is, don't you??
    Actually, I can't sometimes stand even Japanese dessert's sweetness! I think the amount of cream or jam should be reduced depend on dessert.

    By the way, what is the most popular cake in your shop? Short cake??

    返信削除
  3. このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。

    返信削除
  4. Hello, Maiko. I'm Hiromi.
    Nice to meet you!

    I didn't know short cakes were made in Japan.
    I thought European created all kinds of cakes.

    I agree to your opinion. You mean the stronger tastes of dishes are, the sweeter the sweets are, don't you?? When I went to America, I could not put a piece of cakes on my tongue because it was too sweet!! Actually, sometimes I can't stand the sweetness of Japanese cakes:-P

    I want to ask a question. What is the most popular cake in your shop?? Short cake??

    返信削除